The subclass 485, or temporary graduate visa, allows people to stay in the land of kangaroos to reside, work and study. There are four streams under this visa, the Graduate work stream, Post-study work stream, Second-post study work stream and replacement stream.
Your length of stay and cost of the Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 will depend on the stream that you will apply for. This guide will give you some of the most important things about the subclass 485 visa.
What type of visa is a 485 Visa, and what are the Available Streams Under It?
This visa is an Australian visa that allows overseas students less than 50 years who have finished a registered course under CRICOS to study in Australia. There are more than three streams under this visa such as:
- Graduate work stream
If you graduated from a course related to an occupation that is required in Australia, then this stream is for you. Under this stream, you can temporarily live, study and work in Australia.
- You can live for 18 months in Australia under this visa stream, which is temporarily increased to 24 months in the wake of the pandemic and visas are granted from December 1, 2021.
- You can bring your family to Australia under this visa stream.
- The processing time can vary under this stream.
- Post-study work stream
After you graduate with a degree from an Australian institute, you can temporarily live in Australia under this visa stream.
- You can stay and work in Australia for two to four years in Australia depending on your qualifications.
- You need to possess a degree from a valid course under CRICOS.
- You can bring your family to Australia.
- The processing time can vary.
- Second post-study work stream
If you hold a temporary graduate visa and have a degree from a reputed Australian institute, you can apply for this Temporary Graduate Visa 485 stream. Under this stream, you can temporarily live and work in Australia under this visa.
- Depending on your location, you can stay and work for between one and two years in Australia.
- You need to hold a latest degree from a course registered under CRICOS.
- You can bring your family to Australia.
- The processing time is not available for this stream.
- Replacement stream
Under this visa stream, current and former temporary graduate visa holders who have lost their time due to covid restrictions can get the visa. Under this stream, you can temporarily live and work in Australia.
- It is normally between one and a half to five years.
- You must have a degree from a registered course under CRICOS.
- You can bring your family to Australia
- Previous visa holders for two years after mastering coursework will now receive three years temporarily.
- The processing times are not available.
Eligibility Needed for the Temporary Graduate Subclass 485 Visa
If you want to have the eligiblity for the 485 Visa in Australia, you need to fulfil the following requirements:
- You are required to be under 50 years of age.
- You need to be the holder of an eligible visa.
- You need to be qualified under a CRICOS registered course.
- You need to meet all the requirements of the particular stream that you are applying for.
- You can check the Department of Home Affairs to know about the basic eligibility for the visa.
Do You Require Undergoing an English Test for a Temporary Graduate Visa?
You might be needed to provide evidence of your English proficiency skills as part of the visa application process. You can take the IELTS test or other English tests for work, study and migration.
Will You Need OSHC to Support Your Subclass 485 Visa Application?
During the time of the application, if you have a valid student visa, you will already be covered under the overseas student health policy as part of the student visa requirement. It is recommended that you have your OVHC start on the day when your visa expires. You also need to submit evidence of your OVHC while applying for the subclass 485 visa.
How Do You Apply for a Subclass 485 or Temporary Graduate Visa?
You can make the applications online at the Department of Home Affairs website. You need to have all your documents ready to complete the application and pay the fees to ensure that your application is fired.
Estimated Fees and Processing Time for the 485 Visa
The cost of applying for the Visa Subclass 485 will differ based on the visa stream. The processing time for the visa will also vary as per the stream. However, the estimated processing time for this visa is around 12 months for 75% of the applications to be processed and 14 months for 90%.
Visa Updates for the Subclass 485 Visa
From July 1, 2022, the current and former subclass 485 visa holders who lost time due to the COVID-19 restrictions can apply for a replacement visa. To be eligible for the visa, those who have the visa need to:
- Have a legal temporary graduate visa or must have had a subclass 485 visa that ended on February 1, 2022, or after that.
- They must have stayed outside of the country for at least a day between February 1, 2020, and December 15, 2021.
How to Know if You Are Eligible for the Subclass 485 Visa?
You need to fulfil the following criteria to be eligible for the subclass 485 visas:
- An Australian institution must have accredited your course.
- You must satisfy the English language requirements by taking English language tests.
- You need to meet Australian health conditions.
- You may need to opt for a skill assessment.
Can You Work Full-Time on a Subclass 485 Visa?
If you have a subclass 485 visa, you will have full-time work rights for the visa duration. If you want to continue staying in Australia after the expiry of your visa, you need to apply for another visa under a different subclass. Adelaide migration agents can help you if you wish to know more about the 485 visas.
By reading the guide above, you will learn everything you need about the subclass 485 visa. But a registered migration agent Adelaide can help you fill out application forms for this visa and inform you more about this visa. This is the best visa for your needs if you want to stay temporarily in Australia.
Also read- Excellent Types of Puzzle Games