The best used car websites simplify the shopping process by providing detailed, searchable listings, car reviews, buyer guides, and more for anyone in the market for a pre-owned vehicle, whether they’re a first-time buyer looking for their first vehicle or a classic car enthusiast searching for that rare vintage model. The internet has made it easier than ever for car owners to sell their pre-owned vehicles.
Consider the website’s photo quality, navigation, car information, and service record when shopping for a pre-owned vehicle. We compared the best used car shopping websites by analyzing their user reviews, search functionality, prices, and other features important to potential customers.
Best Used Car Websites
If the prospect of purchasing a pre-owned vehicle online has you feeling overwhelmed, take heart: we’ve compiled a list of the most reliable resources for doing so. Since there is a lot of business transacted on the best used car buying sites, we will discuss them.
Our top recommendations are listed below.
1. eBay Motors
With a massive user base, eBay is among the best online marketplaces for buying and selling cars.
With eBay, users are not completely anonymous, and the transaction can be finalized without ever leaving the site. The following are just some of the things that people frequently find on eBay:
- Values that don’t change.
- Automobiles are one-of-a-kind and vintage vehicles.
- Someone who has spent a lot of time in the world of online auto sales.
- A huge selection of automobiles is available, from cars and trucks to sedans and recreational vehicles to all-terrain vehicles and boats to snowmobiles and trailers.
- The listing fee is low, only $19 for 7 days and $79 for 30 days.
- In just a few short minutes, you can have a listing up for your car for sale.
- It’s a hefty price to pay for dealers of luxury vehicles. Pricing starts at $99 if your car’s asking price is over $75,000.
2. Facebook’s Marketplace
The people who frequent localized websites like Craigslist pose a risk when looking to purchase a used vehicle. Most of them are good people, but you can hardly put your faith in them. Despite its problems with fake news, Facebook has created a user-friendly shopping platform where customers can easily find out more information about a vendor before making a purchase decision.
A seller’s reputation is important to think about, and they can be quickly blacklisted if they try to scam, hustle, boondoggle, or swindle anyone who shops with them, just like on eBay. The Market benefits from users’ ability to leave feedback on sellers, inviting some customers and discouraging others. You can get a sense of the kind of person they are based on their profile pictures, such as whether or not they appear to be a responsible person or whether or not they have many pictures of themselves passed out in front of a bong.
- Facebook is a popular destination for online users; as a result, many people are now making use of Facebook Marketplace to trade and sell pre-owned goods.
- It’s convenient for buying cars locally because you can narrow down your search based on where you live and contact the seller through Facebook.
- Has not yet established credibility as a trading platform.
AutoTrader comes out on top because of the sheer variety of options it provides and the quality of the advanced features it offers. More than three million used car listings are available across the country. In addition, you can easily narrow your search for a car using the many options provided.
Finding insurance and financing options is simple once you’ve found the car you want, saving you even more time. AutoTrader was the first nationwide electronic marketplace, so you can be sure they’ve got things dialed in perfectly. AutoTrader has been around since 1997, and its continued dominance in the industry is evidence of that.
- The market’s oldest used-car website.
- Excellent assortment of automobiles.
- Weak protections for personal privacy and safety.
Despite the business’s homey, tongue-in-cheek name, it takes its mission of selling niche automobiles seriously. The submission of a vehicle for evaluation is required for membership. Instead of searching for a Camry for your kid’s sweet sixteen, this one is made by car people, for car people. If you’re looking for something out of the ordinary or just want to chat with other people who share your passion for gas-powered vehicles, this is the place to be. No doubt, it is one of the best used car websites.
- An excellent online auction house specializing in vintage automobiles.
- Providing White-Glove service to assist in the auction of your classic automobile.
- Only in the form of auctions is it obtainable.
- Just antique automobiles, please.
The website Hemmings is a good place to begin your search for a vintage automobile. Not only are there many different classic cars on the market, but there are also many different auto parts to choose from. Vehicles ranging in age from the 1930s to the 1980s predominate. Also, if you want to be informed about company news and upcoming events, you can sign up for the newsletter.
As a result of the company’s rising profile, it is now offering classified ads for pre-owned vehicles. Some users, however, have complained that despite ClassicCars.com’s larger number of listings, it lacks the robust set of features offered by its rival.
- The best classic car used car website ever.
- The process of buying and selling classic cars at auction is straightforward.
- The service is exclusive to vintage automobiles.
When you’re in the market for a used car, it can be difficult to determine the fair price of each model. Because the value of used cars varies greatly depending on region, this is especially true. Car shoppers in your area can use TrueCar.com to research and compare prices to see what others in their area have paid for the same make and model of vehicle.
TrueCar.com does not sell cars directly to customers but rather facilitates transactions between customers and over 250 certified dealerships and auto-buying programs. So, whether you’re in the market for a new or used car, you’ll find plenty of options among the over a million vehicles that are always for sale on the site.
- You have to arrange enough money to buy a car.
- Presents one of the market’s best values for brand-new automobiles with comparable features.
- Used car options are also plentiful.
- Good trade-in offers are hard to come by.
AutoTempest.com collaborates with thousands of dealerships across the country and collects listings from a wide variety of sources. They take great pride in offering in-depth tools like blogs, reviews, and features to assist you in determining whether or not a given vehicle meets your needs. In addition, you can check to see if the price is competitive by clicking on the comparison links provided in each vehicle’s listing.
- Displays ads for buying and selling vehicles from across the internet.
- The filters on car search sites are fantastic.
- Not a standalone car listing service.
Try to take the simplest route possible when searching for a new car. CarsDirect.com’s search filters are easy to use and fairly comprehensive. You can use their financing options to buy a car you find on the site. CarsDirect prioritizes ease of use and functionality. Find pre-owned automobiles in a certain area while narrowing your search by price range, make, and model.
- Low-interest auto loans for people with poor credit.
- Good auto loans.
- Many clients have complained about the steep interest rate.
It can be frustrating to shop for a used car online if you don’t know much about the vehicle’s performance and reliability ratings. CarGurus.com’s goal is to take the mystery out of the process by giving you all the data you need to make an informed choice. Using information such as previous owners, mileage, trim level, and more, they assign a rating to each vehicle they assemble. That’s why it is one of the best used car websites at the moment.
- Fantastic auto loan pre-approvals.
- Huge variety of automobiles available.
- In order to list a vehicle for sale, a fee is charged.
Used car prices can now be found there reliably. The introduction of KBB’s used car platform was well-received by consumers. In addition to locating the finest pre-owned automobiles in the region, you will also have easy and quick access to the car’s current market value and other relevant data. Those in the market for a new vehicle can think of it as a trusted companion. You can use their website to get an idea of how much your car is worth, how much you should pay for a used car, and how much difference there is between new and used car listings. You can look over the best options, get a monthly payment estimator, and compare vehicles side by side.
- Exhibit the past of the automobile.
- Providing dependable statistics on vehicle well-being, mishaps, etc.
- There is a scarcity of automobiles.
The CARFAX brand may be familiar to you, but perhaps not in the context of shopping for a pre-owned vehicle. Instead, you’re aware that this vendor provides reliable reports on a car’s past that make it simple to ascertain whether or not it’s a good investment. Considering the company’s position, it made sense to simultaneously promote used car sales. There isn’t as much screening of vendors as there is with other choices. This is why it is imperative that you conduct your own investigation prior to making a down payment on a car.
- Used-car history is provided.
- Not a place to buy a car online.
Here are our final thoughts on the best used car websites. If you’d rather do business with a private party, you can use Craigslist for local deals and eBay for national ones. AutoTrader, CarGurus, CarsDirect, and TrueCar are good options for those who would rather buy from a local dealership. They can transport any size, age, condition, or location of the vehicle, whether it is operational or not.